Ozzy Osbourne has been forced to cancel his upcoming March shows in Australia, New Zealand and Japan as he continues to recover from pneumonia.
Just days after he postponed his entire UK & European tour with Judas Priest, the former Black Sabbath singer was hospitalised at the start of February due to ‘complications from flu’.
Ozzy’s wife Sharon Osbourne has now revealed for the first time that Ozzy developed pneumonia when he was hospitalised, which he is continuing to recover from.
Sharon said today: “Ozzy recently developed pneumonia & has spent some time in hospital. He is through the worst part his doctors have advised that he stay at home to recuperate for full 6 weeks.”
Ozzy has announced the cancelation of shows in Australia, New Zealand & Japan. “Ozzy recently developed pneumonia & has spent some time in hospital. He is through the worst part,” says @SharonOsbourne. “His doctors have advised that he stay at home to recuperate for full 6 weeks”— Ozzy Osbourne (@OzzyOsbourne) February 19, 2019
The axed dates are Ozzy’s two shows at Download Festival Australia in Sydney and Melbourne (9th and 11th March), Christchurch Horncastle Arena (13th March), Auckland Spark Arena (16th March) and Download Festival Japan (21st March).
Download Festival Australia said in a statement: “We are extremely disappointed to have to bring this news to you, our Download family, however it should go without saying, Ozzy’s health and wellbeing is number one. We wish Ozzy all the best in his recovery and hope he is back to full health as soon as possible.
“It is impossible to replace Ozzy Osbourne at any time, but three weeks out from Download there is no chance of us securing an act to replace the headline slot.
“We are pleased to announce Aussie hard rock kings, Airbourne will join the Download line up and thank them for joining us with such short notice!”
Download Festival Japan commented: “Following Ozzy’s recent postponement of UK and European tours due to ill health, the Download Japan team has been wishing for a speedy recovery in the hope that he would be able to perform at the festival. Unfortunately, however, Ozzy has been forced to cancel his appearance at Download Japan 2019 on doctor’s orders. We apologise to his fans, and anyone inconvenienced by this news.
“We are currently working towards the announcement of additional acts for the festival. Thank you for your patience. We kindly ask for your understanding that refunds will not be issued in the case of line-up changes.”
Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne © Getty
Sharon revealed last week that Ozzy had left his intensive care unit and is now 'breathing on his own.'
70-year-old Ozzy was admitted to the Keck Hospital of University of Southern California on Monday 4th February and at the time Sharon said doctors advised “hospital was the best way to get him on a quicker road to recovery.”
She told viewers of her US talk show The Talk on 12th February: “He’s doing good, he really is. And I just want to say a huge thank you to everybody that has reached out with good wishes.
“He’s overcome by the response that he’s had and it just makes him, it’s kind of bittersweet because he’s so overwhelmed with it but he’s sad, too.”
Ozzy has vowed to complete his postponed European shows with Judas Priest and has confirmed they’re being rescheduled to start in September.
Last October Ozzy was hospitalised with three potentially deadly staph infections in his right hand, which forced him to postpone the final four dates of his US tour.
Ozzy's North American shows with Megadeth this summer are currently scheduled to go ahead as planned.
Coughed so hard I burst a blood vessel in my eye pic.twitter.com/EPuDnN8Mpa— Ozzy Osbourne (@OzzyOsbourne) January 24, 2019