Motörhead’s seminal 1980 anthem ‘Ace Of Spades’ has been voted the greatest gambling song of all time.
Earlier this month, online poker site PokerStars asked over 1,000 of their European users to choose their favourite poker and gambling themed songs.
According to a press release, ‘Ace of Spades’ “not only won but crushed” Lady Gaga's 2009 song ‘Poker Face’ in second spot.
The blurb reads: “With ‘Ace of Spades’ having enjoyed huge success in 1980 before establishing itself as the anthem of a rock movement and lifestyle, this was not only a victory for Motörhead, it was a victory for the sheer strength of rock 'n' roll music.”
Suggesting that the poll was sabotaged, hilariously Pinkfong’s ‘Baby Shark’ and Bob the Builder’s ‘Big Fish, Little Fish’ also made the cut.
Kenny Rogers’ ‘The Gambler’, Bob Seger’s ‘Still the Same’, Greg Allman’s ‘Queen of Hearts’ and Elvis Presley’s ‘Viva Las Vegas’ are some of the glaring omissions.
The Top 16 is as follows:
1. Motorhead, Ace of Spades
2. Lady Gaga, Poker Face
3. Eric Burdon and the Animals, House of the Rising Sun
4. Johnny Cash, Big River
5. Elvis Presley, Luck be a Lady
6. Eric Clapton, Little Queen of Spades
7. Salt’n’Pepa, Push It
8. Bob the Builder, Big Fish, Little Fish
9. LL Cool J, Mama Said Knock You Out
10. Kenny Rogers, The Gambler
11. Pinkfong, Baby Shark
12. AC/DC, The Jack
13. Bob Dylan, Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
14. Fleetwood Mac, Lazy Poker Blues
15. Justin Timberlake, Cry Me a River
16. Frank Sinatra, Luck be a Lady
In tenuously related ‘Ace of Spades’ news, Metallica frontman James Hetfield shared a video of himself rocking along to the Motörhead anthem while driving over the weekend. Watch it here: