A collection of some of Motörhead’s greatest covers is being released this September.
Titled ‘Under Cöver’, the album features Lemmy Kilmister, Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee's unique take on tracks by The Sex Pistols (God Save The Queen), Metallica (Whiplash), The Rolling Stones (Jumpin’ Jack Flash / Sympathy For The Devil), Judas Priest (Breaking The Law) and Rainbow (Starstruck) recorded between 1992 and 2005.
Making the release extra special is that it includes a previously unreleased version of David Bowie’s seminal classic ‘Heroes’, given the unique Motörhead twist.
The Bowie cover was recorded during the Bad Magic sessions in 2015 with producer Cameron Webb, and was one of the last songs Motörhead recorded together before Lemmy’s untimely death in December 2015.
Phil Campbell comments: “It’s such a great Bowie song, one of his best, and I could only see great things coming out of it from us, and so it proved to be and Lemmy ended up loving our version.”
“He was very, very proud of it,” adds Mikkey Dee. “Not only because it turned out so well but because it was fun! Which is what projects like this should be – fun!”
Reflecting upon the album as a whole, Mikkey adds: “We were happy with them at the time and we’re happy with them now! We should remember that it’s about having some fun with songs that we all loved.”
‘Under Cöver’ is released on various formats on Friday 1st September via Motörhead Music.
The track-listing is as follows:
1) Breaking the Law (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2008
2) God Save the Queen (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2000
3) Heroes (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2015
4) Starstruck (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2014
5) Cat Scratch Fever (Produced by Peter Solley) 1992
6) Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2001
7) Sympathy for the Devil (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2015
8) Hellraiser (Produced by Billy Sherwood) 1992
9) Rockaway Beach (Mixed by Cameron Webb) 2002
10) Shoot ‘Em Down (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2001
11) Whiplash (Produced by Bruce Bouillet and Bob Kulick) 2005