Mötley Crüe have released a statement confirming they are officially back and will be performing live again.
Under the headline ‘Most Notorious Rock Band Destroys Cessation Of Touring Agreement’, Mötley Crüe released the following statement tonight:
“Almost 6 years after signing a Cessation of Touring agreement, the contract is off the table because a whole new generation of Crüeheads are relentlessly demanding for the band to come back together.
“Following the huge success of their Netflix biopic The Dirt, Mötley Crüe has seen a massive surge in new audience. And the band best known for breaking the rules has destroyed their cessation of touring contract in true Mötley Crüe-fashion, by literally blowing it up.
“After 35 years together on stage, and 30 years since the release of Dr. Feelgood, the members of Mötley Crüe parted ways without speaking to each other after their Final Show on December 31, 2015.
“Vince, Nikki, Mick and Tommy didn’t come together again until 2018 to participate in the making of The Dirt movie, which unexpectedly brought them closer together again including seeing them head back into the recording studio after having gone in their own directions for several years. The fuse was lit.
“Since playing Tommy Lee in The Dirt, so many of my fans have said how they wish they could've seen the real Mötley Crüe play live,” said Colson Baker (aka Machine Gun Kelly) “I never thought I would see the day when this would become a reality. But the fans spoke and Mötley Crüe listened!”
“The Dirt currently enjoys an audience score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. And its massive global success earlier this year saw Mötley Crüe’s popularity rush to new highs, catapulting the band’s music back to the top of the worldwide charts with the younger 18-44 demographic now representing 64% of the band’s fanbase.
“Moreover, in the six months following the release of The Dirt, Mötley Crüe has celebrated a meteoric rise of almost 350% increase in streams of their music across all streaming platforms. However, most of the new fans have never seen any of the legendary live shows that Crüeheads have relished for close to 4 decades.”
They have also shared this video heralding their return:
Earlier today Rolling Stone magazine reported that Mötley Crüe are hitting the road once again in 2020 on a US stadium tour with Def Leppard and Poison.
Although Mötley Crüe haven’t confirmed the stadium tour next summer, it now seems highly likely the report was indeed true.
Mötley Crüe’s reformation marks a dramatic U-turn for the band after they ‘called it a day’ on 31st December 2015 with a farewell show at The Staples Centre in their native Los Angeles.
The band signed a ‘cessation of touring’ agreement before the 2014/2015 swansong Final Tour, designed to stop all future live performances.
Bassist Nikki Sixx told Rolling Stone in 2014: “Legally, we can’t play again. The only loophole is if all four band members agreed to do it, we could override our own contract. But we know that will never happen. There are people in this band who will refuse to ever do it again, and you’re talking to one of them. There is no amount of money that would ever make me do it again because I have such pride in how we’re ending it.”
He added: “If anybody ever – and I don’t believe anybody ever would – would call any other band members and say, ‘Hey, it’s been 10 years, let’s just do 10 shows. A million a pop,’ it could never happen unless all four band members agree.
“And if we did agree, the way we’ve set it up – including this conversation right now – we’d have so much egg on our face. We have so much pride that that alone would stop it.”
Back in September 2018, Mötley Crüe reunited in the studio to lay down four songs for the soundtrack to their Netflix movie The Dirt.