Fleetwood Mac have issued a short and concise response to Lindsey Buckingham’s lawsuit against them.
Buckingham filed his lawsuit at Los Angeles Superior Court last Tuesday (9th October) claiming he lost out on at least $12million after he was fired ahead of Fleetwood Mac’s current 60-date North American tour.
Confirming Fleetwood Mac are prepared to fight their corner, the band’s spokesperson Kristen Foster told Billboard: “Fleetwood Mac looks forward to their day in court.”
Buckingham was dumped from Fleetwood Mac in January just two days after they performed at a MusiCares event in New York.
Breaking the news of his exit in April, Fleetwood Mac confirmed that Mike Campbell from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Crowded House’s Neil Finn were joining them for their tour.
In his legal papers, Buckingham accuses his former band mates of breach of fiduciary duty, breach of oral contract and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage, among other charges.
Buckingham said he asked to postpone Fleetwood Mac’s North American tour for three months so he could play solo dates.
Claiming that plans were already afoot for their North American tour, Buckingham said he was “unceremoniously” let go without prior warning.
He states that each member of Fleetwood Mac will earn an estimated $12million to $14million from the tour, which kicked off at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma earlier this month.
In an outspoken interview with Rolling Stone last week, Buckingham firmly blamed Stevie Nicks for his firing from the band.
He alleged that he received a phone call from the band’s manager Irving Azoff telling him after the MusiCares event that “Stevie never wants to be on a stage with you again.”
Buckingham claimed that Azoff listed a number of things “Stevie took issue with” during the performance, saying he “smirked” throughout her speech and had an “outburst” during their introduction music, which was the studio recording of Stevie Nicks’ ‘Rhiannon.’