The Most Classic Classic Rock Song
How do you define a classic rock song?
Is a classic rock song a song that has successfully weathered the test of time? Or is it a song that was simply incendiary upon its release? Or is it just a song that is really, really, REALLY good?
Well, the Planet Rock listeners have been voting in their thousands and have put together a list of songs that they think best define classic rock.
Perhaps the result of the poll is not altogether surprising - with Led Zeppelin's seminal 1971 epic essentially defining the phrase classic rock in one fell swoop. Its eight minute running time, varying tempo and volume and stunning solo represent pretty much everything great about rock music in one bitesize(ish) nugget of swaggering rock genius.
Robert Plant (and guitar shop employees) may not care for it much, but we do and that's why Stairway is a worthy winner of this particular poll.
Led Zeppelin actually managed to get a massive SEVEN songs in the top 70, narrowly beating Deep Purple to the most songs in the poll. In another impressive showing, AC/DC managed to get five songs into the top 40.
Here's the Top 40.
1. Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
3. Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
4. All Right Now - Free
5. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
6. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
7. Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC
8. More Than A Feeling - Boston
9. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
10. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
11. Stargazer - Rainbow
12. Bat Out Of Hell - Meat Loaf
13. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
14. Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
15. Back In Black - AC/DC
16. Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
17. Child In Time - Deep Purple
18. Highway to Hell AC/DC
19. Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
20. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns n Roses
21. Ace of Spades - Motorhead
22. Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
23. Highway Star - Deep Purple
24. We Will Rock You - Queen
25. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
26. The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
27. Layla - Derek & The Dominoes
28. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
29. Gypsy - Uriah Heep
30. Hotel California - Eagles
31. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
32. Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow
33. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix
34. Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin
35. Caroline - Status Quo
36. Shine On (You Crazy Diamond) - Pink Floyd
37. For Those About To Rock - AC/DC
38. Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
39. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
40. (Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult