German heavy metal festival Wacken Open Air paid spine-tingling tribute to Motörhead legend Lemmy Kilmister on Saturday night (5th August).
Shortly after Planet Rock’s very own Alice Cooper wrapped up his delightfully macabre set on the Harder Stage, festival founder Thomas Jensen took to the stage to address the tens of thousands in attendance.
“There can’t be a Wacken without Lemmy,” Jensen said. “We all know that so we decided this year we have the honour to present you the 2018 Wacken Hymn, which will be Motörhead’s epic take on David Bowie’s ‘Heroes’.
“So, let me tell you, Lemmy wanted this song, during the recording (sessions) of ‘Bad Magic’ the latest album, he wanted this song to be on the album.
“Let’s make it that he can hear us when we’re all singing it. Do us a favour, sing with us, raise your fists and voice for the great Lemmy and sing it!”
As the ‘Heroes’ video started up on the screens, the crowd erupted into chants of “Lemmy! Lemmy!” before they joined in singing along to Motörhead’s recently unleashed take on Bowie’s seminal anthem.
Uploaded to Wacken’s Facebook page on Saturday night, the powerful video has already been watched over 1million times.
Watch it here:
No Wacken without Lemmy! Look what happened today: The whole Wacken crowd was singing the anthem for W:O:A 2018 – Official Motörhead’s take on David Bowie’s „Heroes“. Enjoy!Posted by Wacken Open Air on Saturday, 5 August 2017
Motörhead’s cover of ‘Heroes’ appears on their upcoming compilation album ‘Under Cöver’, which is released on various formats on Friday 1st September via Motörhead Music.
The album also features Motörhead’s unique take on tracks by The Sex Pistols (God Save The Queen), Metallica (Whiplash), The Rolling Stones (Jumpin’ Jack Flash / Sympathy For The Devil), Judas Priest (Breaking The Law) and Rainbow (Starstruck) recorded between 1992 and 2005.
Phil Campbell says of the ‘Heroes’ cover: “It’s such a great Bowie song, one of his best, and I could only see great things coming out of it from us, and so it proved to be and Lemmy ended up loving our version.”
“Lemmy was very, very proud of it,” adds Mikkey Dee. “Not only because it turned out so well but because it was fun! Which is what projects like this should be – fun!”
The ‘Under Cöver’ track-listing is as follows:
1) Breaking the Law (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2008
2) God Save the Queen (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2000
3) Heroes (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2015
4) Starstruck (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2014
5) Cat Scratch Fever (Produced by Peter Solley) 1992
6) Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2001
7) Sympathy for the Devil (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2015
8) Hellraiser (Produced by Billy Sherwood) 1992
9) Rockaway Beach (Mixed by Cameron Webb) 2002
10) Shoot ‘Em Down (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2001
11) Whiplash (Produced by Bruce Bouillet and Bob Kulick) 2005
Lemmy performing at Wacken Open Air 2014 © PA Images